As the Title suggests I am a vet, and proud of it, and proud of all those that wear the uniform of the United States of America. You name it we'll talk about it. Politics, sports and much more. However, I am also very interested in what is happening to this great country of ours, politically and socially...So SOUND OFF PRIVATE!!!

The Stars and Stripes

The Stars and Stripes
Respect Her, Defend Her, and Cherish what she stands for.

Sunday, March 26, 2006

What is a Vet?

vet·er·an (vtr-n, vtrn)
n.
1. A person who is long experienced or practiced in an activity or capacity: a veteran of political campaigns.
2. A person who has served in the armed forces
3. An old soldier who has seen long service.


This is the definition from the Free Dictionary for a veteran. It is commonly accepted that when reference is given to the word veteran, it is in the pretext of a military person. However, I have a little different twist on what a veteran is. Let's say a personal twist.

I am a vet. I am a person that has put on the uniform and took an oath to protect the Constitution of the United States from all enemies foreign and domestic. A person who accepted his voluntary service with honor and pride, and for the better part would do it again if called upon. I have got up at 3 and 4 o'clock in the morning, gotten dressed and drove on post to be there in time for the morning formation and roll call, this all before the sun comes up. I have left my friends and family behind and moved, at Uncle Sam's call, to some foreign land or country as part of my service. Willing at all times to take up arms to protect the things and people that are dear to me and my way of life.

Putting aside all the emotions of political parties. Standing side by side with people from different races, creeds and color and yes different political backgrounds. Calling this person my brother or sister in arms in the defense of this great nation of ours. Willing to give my life to save another, and willing to do whatever it takes to keep us free from dictators and countries that wish to do us harm.

I have since taken off the uniform that I wore so proudly. I have put on much more weight than I had ever dreamed of putting on and my hair is getting a little thin on top. There is snow on the roof but still a flame in the fireplace. I have watched my family grow and move on with their own lives. Each respecting the things that they have and the freedoms that they are alotted, and how they got them. My life has slowed down, as it does with age. But the mind is still sharp and can easily recognize the threat of danger when it rears its ugly head. When at a football game, and the National Anthem is being played, a tear of respect for what it stands for still comes to my eyes. I hold myself erect and push out my chest with pride. For the words "land of the free and the home of the brave" still have an everlasting meaning to me. One that some do not understand because they have not bore the burden of protecting this great nation and the free people within.

I get a little rumbling inside of me when I hear someone talking bad about my country, especially when this person hasn't had to put their life on the line to protect his right to say what he is saying. I become very upset when I see pictures of Americans burning the flag that I swore allegience to as a child and in uniform. But again, I wore the uniform so that they could have that right. I have watched protestors march in the streets calling my fellow service members murderers and other vial names. Yet with each incident I hold my head up that much higher. For if it weren't for me and others like me, present and past, they wouldn't be able to say what they are saying without fear of being arrested or killed. Sometimes, yes sometimes I wonder if it was all worth it. Was it worth the sacrifice of leaving my family for extended periods of time? Was it worth it to be called names and even spit upon by those that didn't know anything about me? Was it worth all the pain and fear that I faced in numerous positions, that others only see in the movies?

Your damn right it was. For I have done what only a few chosen have been able to do, comparatively speaking of course. I have served proudly one of the greatest nations in the world. Promoting freedom and democracy wherever I went. What makes it even more worth the while, is when a complete stranger comes up to me and says thank you for your service to this country, telling me I and others like me have done so much to make this country strong. When I sit back and think of the company that I am in. Greats like George Washington, General Grant, General Lee, Gen. Patton, Gen Bradley, Audie Murphy, the flag raisers on Iwo Jima, Gen. Powell, my father, and the names go on and on. But even more than that, the guys and ladies that I served with. There is a group that can only be exceeded by those that are serving today. For they are now Veterans. They too are members of an elite group or society.

So my friend, when you see "Old Glory" waving high on the flag pole, or in a parade, or in a funeral. Hold your head high. Be not ashamed to shed a tear for a fallen hero. Be not ashamed to show your pride for what you have done and others are doing in the uniform. They have earned the respect and deserve that high pedestal that they are placed upon by those of us who have been there and know. Yes my friend, that is my definition of a veteran. Regardless of which uniform they have worn or are wearing. Regardless of their walk of life they have taken.

10 comments:

MDConservative said...

I'll KISS: Very nice piece!

Do you remember back when TV stations went off the air at night and in the morning would have the Anthem to the video of "sea to sea" with the flag and Thunderbirds?

Patriotic Sgt said...

Thanks mdconservative. Yes I do remember, that was back when there were only three networks. God how did we survive thru the sixties with a left slant on the news.

Anonymous said...

mdconservative - I remember!!! Thanks for the memory. :-)

old sgt - This is a fantastic post! You and your Vet buddies are dear to me and abide in my heart. Thanks for all you have done for this country, even before some of us were old enough to understand it. (BTW - We remember the leftist b.s. that the liberal media spewed all over us via the TV. Thank God it didn't take on me and my friends!)

I believe that Soldiers (& Marines, etc.) are among the most likely people to understand just Who Jesus is and what He has done for us. Often misunderstood, even betrayed, they lay down their lives for the good of others. "...Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame..." (Hebrews 12: 2) He paid the ultimate price because He loved others and was willing to protect them.

It is a bigger message than I can adequately express here; but I am passionate about this thought! I believe that Soldiers deserve the reverence we give to them, even though their personal morals are not always so great.

Thanks for a great post. :-)

MDConservative said...

Whoa old sgt! I survived through the 70's, but not the 60's. lol

I was meant for the military from the early days. I could never stay in bed in the morning. I bet I caught that video 6/7 days of the week.

I wonder where that video is, I am almost certain I caught it sometime recently. I need to track it down. I want a copy. Maybe there would be more respect for the country if that was still up as opposed to "dial 1-900 for..." or "for a limited time now, the ab-flex 5000!"

I would like some respect myself, but I think I always keep in mind the fact that I want to make sure my father who spent 30yrs USAF, gets it first. And to you!

Patriotic Sgt said...

mdconservative,

Thank you for the kind words. My father served 30 yrs in the Navy. Part of that time was in WWII and in Viet Nam. The respect I have for the "Greatest Generation" will always surpass any other. My time in the service is one I will never forget, nor will I forget those that I served with. Just as I know that those serving now, will never forget the "buddies" that they have made.

I have this bad habit of ranting or babbling on when it comes to vets and those serving today. Looking back on what I wrote in this post, I must confess that instead of using "me" or "I" so much, I meant to use we and our to reflect it more toward all of us that have served. My bad, and I do apologize to all the vets. For it was as much for them as it was for me. But again, thank you for your comments. My Blog life is starting to expand in the right direction thanks to bloggers like yourself, lanes_pie and others.

OOPS, i did it again.

Anonymous said...

You're fine, "Old Sgt". You guys deserve some recognition.

BTW - My dad was in the Air Force for four years, then the Navy for sixteen. He made me so proud! He's my favoritest Vet. :-)

Baby brother (USN) gets 2nd place.
Nephew (USMC) gets 3rd.
Uncles & cousins are 4th in line.
All you sweeties out there get 5th.
(Easy to accept 5th place in an honor roll of such people!)

You all have made me proud!

** I guess everybody actually has to take one step down -- those who died while serving us should be the ones to get first place.

MDConservative said...

That is terrific! My prayers to all of them, of course who leaves the USAF for the USN? lol (just kidding around)

Seriously, every service has its duty/purpose and work as a team to provide the USA with the best in the world. I think the generation gap was something that made Reagan have to work hard on the military. The newer generation is outside of the "woodstock" kids, so I have hope that in some ways we can go back to the philosophy and ideals of "THE Generation."

It is tough, there are many protests and vulgar ideology in the country. BUT, those who choose to serve seem to have their own, and some, patriotism and willingness to make the country truly great and safe.

Anonymous said...

I have noticed a great difference in the men I know from the WWII era and most of the rest. It seems that today there are less men who rise to the challenge to be the men they could be. Almost exclusively it is in our current veterans that I find men with such determination and patriotism as I see in the WWII'ers. The others who mirror those qualities are the CHILDREN of veterans. (Thank God my husband is one of them.)

I can't imagine how the rest of the people live. How can someone not support the military? In my mind it is just impossible. How can someone not support the President in a time of war? How can some of these yahoos be so acrid toward President Bush when they were so placid toward President Clinton, even defensive of him?

Maybe I'm not worldly-wise enough; but I suspect I'm not the one with the problem. This country was made great by our veterans - both during their fights and afterward, when they worked hard at civilian jobs, maybe harder than any one else.

I know I've gone on too long, Sgt. Please forgive me. I just get so upset at people who don't show proper respect for our veterans. It's a REALLY BIG DEAL to me!

Hugs and prayers. And THANK YOU for your service to our country. I mean that.

I'd better go -- I've got a lump in my throat and I'm tearing up.

MDConservative said...

I will give an exclusive here, and then have a link on my blog if I track it down.

Patriotic Sgt said...

Thank you all so much for your kind words. I wish that there was a way to have this put not so much toward me, but toward all of the vets and present service men. If they could hear the supportive words that are being passed out here, maybe, just maybe, it would make many of their days happier. I know that each of you have made mine extremely better.

So many have been forgotten by todays generation for the great deeds they have done. Again thank all of you for your precious words of support, they do mean a lot.